Thursday, February 24, 2011

Catching Up with Wargames Illustrated

WI 280 cover
It's been awhile since I posted on Wargames Illustrated and that's because I only recently got hold of some recent issues. I've only skimmed them for the most part, but I'll say this right now - get the Sudan issue (WI 280). Nineteenth Century colonials has long been a favorite subject of the wargaming hobby, but I don't recall such a comprehensive treatment as this - at least between the covers of one issue. Lots of sidebars on the armies and personalities involved which not only connect the pieces, but give them the whole 'sum greater than their parts' feel. I should also mention that Neil Smith wrote several of the Sudan pieces - so you know you are in for a treat.

I have also heard from Dan F. at WI that the issue has received a lot of positive feedback, so I'm not alone in praising this issue.


WI 279 cover
More on WI 279 and WI 280 later. One thing I'm really looking forward to reading is Chris Pramas' article on running big games at conventions. Pramas is one of my favorite game gurus.

2 comments:

  1. Why is homeland security holding up our Wargames Illustrated? Haven't they got better things to do? Oh, that's right, they're busy clamping down on internet soccer sites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I recall correctly, they also came down on Paizo Publishing's Pathfinder books, which were (are?) printed in China, a few years back.

    ReplyDelete